Scanning Electrical Mobility Spectrometer Model 2100
Ultra-fast particle mobility spectrometer to measure particle number size distributions up to 2 microns in only a few seconds.
The SEMS allows rapid aerosol number size distribution measurements with scan times as short as 5 seconds. It also serves as a 365 days/year, 24 hours/day workhorse monitor of ambient size distributions at field stations. If your needs include calibrating OPCs, CPCs, or other sizing instruments, the SEMS is a great monodisperse particle generator. With an intuitive software interface, the SEMS is easy to configure with quick data post-processing capabilities. With the broadest size range commercially available, the SEMS satisfies a spectrum of scientific needs and is adaptable to changing research priorities.
Learn About Product
• Broadest available particle size range – select up to 2 micron diameter
• Fully configurable scans: up to 300 bins, user-defined min and max sizes, and bin count time
• Fast MCPC response (0.15 sec) and DMA scan times down to a few seconds
• Three different DMA sizes available: mini, short and long
• Precise volumetric airflow measurements with laminar flow elements
• Easy to use software with real-time display of Number, Area and Volume distributions and timelines of all integrated properties
• Extended sample and inlet flow range with optional internal pump
• Integrated sample/sheath flow drying for low RH operation (optional)
• Low maximum voltage (< 6,000 volts) reduces arcing problems
• Real-time temperature, relative humidity and pressure measurements
• Low pressure operation down to 300 mb with optional external pump package
• Rackmount kit for easy integration to standard 19” instrument rack
· Ultra-fast detector response allows rapid DMA voltage scans while minimizing count “smearing”
· Twice the size range can be selected at half the high voltage!
· Broad operating pressure range allows use on aircraft – tested to 300 mb
· Fully automated, unattended operation
· Monodisperse particle selection and scanning software with on-line inversion
· Off-line inversion software available for data re-processing when needed
· Off-the-shelf, cost effective Polonium-210 charge neutralizer or Soft X-ray options
· Easy-to-clean DMA design
Copyright © 2023 All specifications are subject to change without notice. BMI assumes no responsibility for inaccuracies in this document or for any obligation to update information in this document. BMI reserves the right to change, modify, transfer or otherwise revise this publication without prior notice.
*Some products may be shown with optional accessories, which are sold separately. Items shown may not be to scale.
Applications and Solutions
- Continuous monitoring of ambient size distributions
- Laboratory flow-tube studies
- Cloud condensation nucleus studies
- Visibility reduction studies
- Aerosol health impacts
- Long-term climate and air quality monitoring
- Sampling conditions with highly transient aerosol concentrations
- Vertical profiles of number distributions from aircraft
The SEMS software features a graphical user interface with point-and-click operation. You can easily set default scan parameters like size range, number of bins, and bin count time to design your scan to suit your research needs. The plumbing delay time is automatically calculated to assure accurate DMA sizing. Even if you accidently operate the SEMS with an incorrect setting, we provide an off-line data inversion software tool that lets you reprocess raw scan data with the correct settings.
A real-time display of the particle size distribution is available through plots of measured number concentrations versus size. Data are displayed as raw counts, raw concentration, or inverted number, area and volume size distributions. The raw count display offers useful guidance on setting scan parameters to optimize counting uncertainties. The current scan, previous scan and a running average of all scans is shown in each results screen. With just a click of the mouse you have immediate access to plots of the number, area and volume distributions in addition to timeline plots of their integrated values!
- Differential Mobility Analyzer column (0.4, 1 or 2 micron size range)
- High voltage supply and control
- Automatic DMA recirculating sheath flow control
- Scanning size distribution software with on-line inversion
- Monodisperse particle selection software
- Size distribution off-line inversion software for data re-processing
- Mixing-based Condensation Particle Counter
- Instrument enclosure
- Temperature, Pressure and RH measurement in DMA
- Windows™ laptop with control software and Igor™ data processing software
- Rugged, weatherproof, re-usable shipping case
- Operating manual
The following optional accessories are available: