Isokinetic Inlet System Model 1200
Sampling particles from moving platforms can be tough – especially larger coarse-mode aerosol that are easily lost inside inlets due to turbulent deposition. The Isokinetic Inlet System has been designed using our wind tunnel facility to minimize particle losses in aircraft sampling applications where automated operation and field-tested performance are required. The unique dual-diffuser system passively pumps away the turbulent boundary layer in the first cone to minimize deposition and loss of particles. Multiple instrument sample flow pick-off ports are provided to adapt to your sampling needs. Brechtel has decades of aircraft sampling and isokinetic inlet development expertise to help with your application.
Learn About Product
- Fully automated, hands-off operation
- Transmission efficiency > 90% for particle aerodynamic diameters < 10 microns
- Wind tunnel tested and validated
- Custom inlet manifold design for each application including sample pickoffs
- Custom mounting solutions that account for aircraft angle of attack (optional)
- Aerodynamic, twin-diffuser prevents turbulent boundary layer separation
- Passive pumping removes diffuser turbulent boundary layer
- Low power blower to draw and actively control 150 lpm sample flow (up to 100 lpm of air flow for instruments)
- Anti-icing system
- Passive pumping in diffuser reduces necessary pumping power
- Small rack-mountable control chassis easy to integrate
- Easily adaptable to different aircraft
- External probe design that has passed FAA review
- Automatically maintains isokinetic flow using user-supplied air speed measurement
|Particle aerodynamic diameter size range||0.005-10 μm|
|Sample flow at diffuser tip (@100 m/s)||300 lpm|
|Sample flow to cabin||150 lpm|
|Maximum sample flow to instruments||100 lpm|
|Control and DAQ frequency||1 Hz|
|Anti-icing power (supplied by platform)||900 watts @ 28 VDC|
|Rack-mountable electronics chassis size||19 x 6.5 x 12 in/48.25 x 16.5 x 30.5 cm|
|Electronics chassis weight||20 lb/9 kg|
|Total system weight||70 lb/31.75kg|
|Operating temperature range||-40 to 45°C|
|Operating pressure range (absolute)||200-1,000 mb|
Copyright ©2023 All specifications are subject to change without notice. BMI assumes no responsibility for inaccuracies in this document or for any obligation to update information in this document. BMI reserves the right to change, modify, transfer or otherwise revise this publication without prior notice.
*Some products may be shown with optional accessories, which are sold separately. Items shown may not be to scale.
Applications and Solutions
- Plume studies of power plants
- Megacity plume studies
- Volcanic ash studies
- Below cloud aerosol studies for cloud condensation nucleus research
- Visibility reduction studies
- Climate change research
- Vertical profiling of aerosols
- Air quality research
- Mobile laboratories
The ISO inlet on-board firmware provides real-time displays of current parameter values, including Air Speed, Tip Volume Flow, Measured Volume Flow and Volume Flow Setpoint. Air Speed can either be supplied to the firmware via RS-232 communication from the platform data system or via a user-supplied pitot-static tube connected to the inlet differential pressure sensor.
The software is built into the micro-controller inside the control chassis, so no external computer is required to operate the system. You can quickly enter the total instrument sample flow drawn from the sample pick off ports in the firmware and the system will automatically adjust the amount of flow needed to maintain isokinetic sampling conditions. Operating pressure and various temperatures are monitored to maintain proper flow and anti-icing system control.
Two distinct flow control modes are available: direct flow control by varying the speed of the built-in high speed blower, or flow control using the blower coupled with a low pressure drop control valve. The two techniques broaden the dynamic pressure range over which the system can be operated. Data are stored to a local SD card easily accessible on the chassis front panel.
• Inlet manifold with two pick off port assemblies for instrument sampling
• Rack-mountable electronics chassis
• Interconnect cables and tubing
• Operator’s manual
Note: It is the customer’s responsibility to physically mount the ISO inlet to their aircraft or other platform.
|ISO-SP025||Sample pick-off port with 1/4" OD tube|
|ISO-SP0375||Sample pick-off port with 3/8" OD tube|
|ISO-SP05||Sample pick-off port with 1/2" OD tube|
|ISO-90||Ninety degree bend for 1.5" OD main sample manifold line at mounting plate|
|ISO-Kit||Maintenance Kit for 1200 ISO|